Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mac And Beans

I've never been a big fan of boxed mac n cheese. When Michaela was first starting to eat finger foods, I would cook up some spiral pasta and melt cheddar cheese over it. She loved it but for some reason I stopped making it, probably during a phase in which she refused to eat it anymore (kids are tricky like that). Recently I've been looking for a healthy mac n cheese recipe that would please both Michaela and a more adult palate. Since Michaela is hit or miss with meat, I've been drawn to several mac n bean recipes because of the idea of added protein. I'm including a link to the recipe this is based on, even though it is no longer active. Take a look around, the rest of the blog is amazing! Michaela and I loved this, and Philip thought it was ok, which is all I can ask for.

Ingredients
6-7 oz small pasta shapes
1 15oz can Cannelini beans
1 15oz can crushed tomatoes
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
1 carrot, chopped fine
1/4 c onion, chopped fine
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
olive oil
6 oz cheddar or parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions
Prepare pasta according to package directions and drain. Meanwhile, saute celery, carrot, onion, and garlic in a small amount of olive oil until veggies are translucent. Add tomatoes and beans and cook 5-10 minutes more. Puree the tomatoe & bean mixture with vegetable broth in a blender or food processor. Pour sauce over pasta and top with shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment