Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Crockpot Autumn Sausage Casserole

I've decided that my crockpot is one of the most under utilized tools I have in my kitchen. I found this recipe over a year ago on one of my favorite blogs and have been meaning to try it ever since. This was a perfect blend of salty from the sausage and sweet from the carrots and raisins. My husband wasn't a huge fan of it but Michaela ate half a bowlful so it was definitely a win!

Ingredients
1 lb sausage, browned
2 apples, chopped
1/2 c carrots, chopped
3 c long grain rice, cooked (I used a wild rice mix)
1/2 c raisins
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 c chicken broth

Directions
Add all the ingredients to the crockpot, mix well and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 3-4. Since everything is already cooked, you are basically allowing the carrots & apples to soften, and all the flavors to mix.

Notes
  • The bottom and sides burned a bit. Next time I would cook it for less time or add more chicken broth.
  • Make this dish a little bit healthier by using turkey or chicken sausage rather than pork.

1 comment: