Sunday, February 14, 2010

Zuppa Toscana

I've been trying to find a good copycat recipe of my favorite Olive Garden soup for awhile now. This recipe is adapted from Annie's Eats and Copykat Recipes. Although it's been awhile since I've had this at the restaurant, I thought it tasted exactly the same as I remembered. So creamy and delicious! Philip thought it was a little bland but said he would enjoy eating it over and over again. Michaela ate the potato bits and tried to eat the liquid, but it's still a little hard for her. Considering how easy this was, this is definitely being added to my rotation of dinner regulars.

Ingredients
3 links sausage, cooked & crumbled
1/4 cup onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup white wine
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
2 potatoes, diced
1 cup kale, chopped
4 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled (optional)
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Saute the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil until onion is translucent. Add the white wine and swirl it around a bit to deglaze the pan. Add the chicken broth, water, and potatoes. Simmer about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add the kale and cook until soft. Add the remaining ingredients and serve immediately.
Notes
  • I don't think it matters too much what type of wine you use. I used a fruity Pinot Grigio, but I'm guessing a dry wine would work well too.
  • I'm guessing this could be adapted fairly easily to the crockpot. If I were to try it, I would saute the onions and garlic, then brown the sausage in the same pan. Then I would put all the ingredients in the crockpot except the cream and cook on low for 3-4 hours, adding the cream right before serving. If anyone tries it this way, please let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I recently received a similar recipe from a coworker. The only real difference is her recipe calls for 1 lb of Italian sausage, maybe that will add some additional spice your husband wants?

    ReplyDelete