Thursday, February 4, 2010

Honey Lemon Enchiladas

I'm generally a purist when it comes to Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas (a recipe which I'll have to post sometime soon), but this recipe caught my eye and had me intrigued. This flavor combination is such an interesting combination of savory and sweet, my tastebuds are already itching for tomorrows lunch of leftovers. Philip liked it but said it wasn't his favorite. Michaela didn't touch it, but it is so mild that I think kids who don't have an aversion to gloopy textures would really love the sweet notes in this dish.

Ingredients
4 tablespoons Honey
4 tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 tablespoons Chili Powder
2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
12 oz Chicken, cooked and shredded
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 jar Medium Green Chile Sauce (2 cups)
8 oz Cheddar Cheese, shredded
4-5 Flour Tortillas

Directions
Mix honey, lemon juice, chili powder, and garlic powder together. Pour half over chicken and let marinate at least half an hour. Combine the rest of the honey lemon mixture with the cream & jar of green chile sauce. Spread some of the mixture on the bottom of a 8 x 8 casserole dish. Fill each tortilla with some of the meat mixture and shredded cheese, roll like a burrito, and place side by side in the casserole dish. Top with remaining chile mixture and shredded cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.

Notes
  • The recipe this is based off called for lime juice but I didn't have a chance to go to the store. I would love to try it this way some time.
  • The chicken I used was just from a pre-cooked rotissere from the grocery store. So convenient!
  • I think next time I'll try using homemade green chile sauce instead. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment